J. Kemper Will
Kemp Will founded the Firm’s Environmental Group. He began his environmental practice over 30 years ago, when the environmental field was nascent, as an attorney with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Washington D.C. and Denver. In addition to being one of the most experienced “Superfund” lawyers in the United States, he has represented hundreds of parties regarding contaminated property transactions:
- Sales, purchases and other contaminated property transactions;
- Mergers and acquisitions;
- Environmental assessments and strategy;
- Remediations, redevelopment and voluntary clean-up;
- Permitting, regulatory compliance and agency interactions;
- Managing environmental litigation.
Mr. Will and the Firm have handled regulatory matters under all of the federal and state environmental laws and know the regulators well. Mr. Will has been involved in numerous environmental litigation cases and has served as mediator, arbitrator and expert witness in environmental disputes.
Mr. Will has managed Brownfields projects since 1991 and has deep experience in all aspects of Brownfields redevelopment.
Subject Properties have included industrial, commercial, recycling, shopping centers, mining, municipal, military, oil and gas and urban centers.
Mr. Will was born in Centerville, Ohio, and has resided with his wife and 2 children in Colorado since 1975. He has served as board chairman on a number of voluntary boards and has been a Denver Rotary member.
Legal: Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C. J.D. 1973
Graduate: University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin M.S. Biology and Education 1968
Undergraduate: Spring Hill College, Mobile, Alabama B.A. 1966. Majors in biology and philosophy
Areas of Expertise:
Impaired Property Transactions
- Multiparty superfund litigation
- Environmental assessment of portfolios of properties
- Drafting sales agreements of environmentally impaired properties
- Negotiating resolution of agency actions
Speaking Engagements:Frequent lecturer on environmental topics
- Member: American Bar Association, Natural Resources Section; Colorado
- Bar Association, Environmental Law Section; and Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Mining Association
- Co-Founder and Original Director: Colorado Environmental Management Society.
- Martindale-Hubbell av (preeminent)
- Since 1988, listed in editions of The Best Lawyers in America – Environmental Law and Litigation
- 2013 Lawyer of the Year – Denver Area – Environmental Law, Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in 2007 through current editions of Chambers USA “Senior Statesman”
- Listed in 2006 through current editions of 5280 Magazine, "Colorado Superlawyers".
- Listed in 1st and subsequent editions of International Guide to Environmental Law Experts (over 400 environmental lawyers worldwide selected by International Corporate Law, London)
- Former Fellow, American Academy of Trial Counsel.
- Recipient: Environmental Achievement Award, EPA Region VIII, 2004
- Colorado 1979
- Virginia 1973